Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Yesterday was mostly spent catching up in the herb garden. All of the rain lately is really giving the lavender a hard time. The new lavender plants are gone, but I'll try to see if I can revive them. I hate to give up on them. It's already cloudy today- rain will likely start about noon. I have a couple of things I want to get done this morning out there.

I've had a wonderful crop of dill seeds. I'm drying them and will package later in the week in paper- eventually into jars. The fragrance is so great! These can also go nicely into an herb bread. The seeds add more flavor to the bread than just using the dill weed does. I'll work on a recipe that uses these, some dill weed, and some other herbs along with some ground flax seeds.

Some morning glory seeds arrived yesterday. I think these should be started in small pots and be transplanted. Starting seeds directly in the soil seems to be a problem this time of year. It's too hard to tell them from the new weeds that want to grow out there.

It's time to get the gourds started for Fall. And another group of beans into the rotation. Aryanna's carrots are getting taller tops, but are far from being ready to pull. She is always so anxious about her carrots. This year she turns five.

Things that look great in the gardens include the lemon grass, various mints (orange, chocolate, lemon, lime, apple, spearmint), basil (cinnamon, purple ruffle, regular) dill, lemon verbena, lemon balm, vanilla grass- recently divided. Vegetables that are thriving include bell peppers, tomatoes (some of the heirloom varieties are struggling due to their trip here and the rains) and some beans. The sunflower plants are to my waist now.

Better get out there before the rains come today!

Today's activities include feeding the tomatoes, beans and peppers. Feeding the scented geraniums (lower nitrogen for them so they will flower), thinning the mesclun lettuce (field greens) and getting some more bean seeds planted. I want to get some sand to start more scented geraniums - the cuttings root so well in sand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home