Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Living And All That Entails

I wish that I could slow down time. It goes by much faster now than when I was young. Summers used to stretch out before me like a vast distance full of laziness, fun, explorations, and interesting things to get into.

When I was a young parent, I wished for time to speed up- largely due to some difficult or annoying time one of my children was having. I just wanted to get to the other side of some things.

Now, as a grandparent, I realize that I was wishing away precious times. Children grow up so fast. Then the grandchildren do the same thing. The times when my children wanted to climb up into my lap and snuggle with a book are long gone. The times when problems they face are as simple as not getting the last favorite color of ice pop, or being included in something their friends are doing, are long gone. We are all admonished by an elder that time flies, and to enjoy every last minute with our children- and we don't really believe it. Nope.

I've seen a whole life. I can remember my own grandmothers at the same age I am now. They seemed so old to me- and so calm. It was as though they had seen so much that very little surprised them any more. I wished I could get to the point of being calm about life. They seemed so wise. I wanted to be wise. I actually said this out loud to my mother once: "I can't wait until I am old and don't have to worry about anything any more!" She laughed. Now I know why.

Yes, I've seen a whole life and it's not very long. Not long enough.

Years ago, when some dear friends of ours were beginning their family, they looked at us with our group of children and said,"We can't wait to not tell other people what you didn't tell us about being parents". We laughed and explained that some things just have to be experienced for oneself.

Today I will be watching the movie "Chicken Little" with my youngest granddaughter. I know this because we watch it every day. I notice different things about the characters than she does, of course. I want to be more like Fish. He just moves through even the most dire of situations with amazed and boundless happiness. If I had lived more like Fish, would I have gone through life taking more risks? No, probably not. But maybe I would have been less worried about things. Maybe I would have traveled this journey with my head up and noticing the richness around me instead of tucking my head down and just getting through it. Being quiet and listening is the advice I should have heard and lived by.

Live with joy. Live in the moment. That's what I wish for the rest of my life and the rest of my children and their children's lives. And is this the secret to my own grandmothers calm? Had they each reached this same conclusion when they were about my age and started to live within the moment, enjoying each savory and sweet moment? I'd like to think so because it would be wonderful to follow in their footsteps. Maybe they are nodding and smiling now, thinking that I've finally learned their most important lesson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home